Friday, February 25, 2011

Oscar Hives and Walk the Line

The Oscar's are on Sunday people. I am so ecstatic I literally don't think I am going to be able to contain myself for the next few days. In order to calm myself down a little bit, I'm going to talk about one of my all-time favorite movies, which has also won and been nominated for some Oscar's.



Walk the Line. This movie tells the epic story of Johnny Cash, played by Joaquin Phoenix,  and his journey to becoming a music phenomenon as well as falling from that fame and again rising to the top. The movie also includes a side plot of his love story with the one and only June Carter, played beautifully by Reese Witherspoon. 




A very interesting fact about this movie, is that Phoenix and Witherspoon recorded all of their own original covers of the Cash and Carter songs for the film. Both actors, neither of whom had ever sung before, questioned their abilities to perform the task. However, they rocked it. Witherspoon won the Oscar for Best Female Performance in a Leading Role. And whether or not you agree with me on that fact, I may be biased by my love for Johnny Cash and love stories that last a lifetime, here are some what other people thought:

IMDB (International Movie Data Base, if you've been living under a rock) gave it a 7.9 out of 10, pretty good if you ask me.

Rotten Tomatoes gave it an 82%- saying that the movie's "superior acting and authentic crooning capture the emotional subtleties of the legend of Johnny Cash and his inevitable downfall with a freshness that is a pleasure to watch."

If you haven't seen the movie, take a look at the trailer and decide for yourself, whether or not you think it is worth it to watch.



One of the best things I like about this movie is that is just feels so warm and homey. All of the colors and costumes are inviting, and you feel like you right next door from Johnny Cash sitting on the porch playing his guitar. This movie is inviting and inspiring and it makes you feel like even if you fail at something, or make a wreck of your life, you can always turn around and fix it.

So curl up with some cocoa and pop in Walk the Line. You only have about 56 hours until the Oscars, so you might as well spend it doing something productive; and hot cocoa is always productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment