Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oscar Fever

With the Oscar’s only days away—literally 10 days, can you feel it?—I’m going to give you some insight into the movies that I have seen that are nominated for roles.


First off, I want to discuss The Fighter, and why I think that Mark Wahlberg didn’t get a nomination for Best Actor when three of his costars (Melissa Leo, Christian Bale and Amy Adams) were all nominated for their performances. It is my belief that Mark Wahlberg had the best intentions when approaching his character in the movie; however, unlike the other three actors which I previously mentioned (hopefully you were paying attention), he didn’t take his acting to a deeper level. He embodied on the surface what it meant to be Micky Ward. He was physically fit after training for months, he executed the timid and shyness of the character, but he did not embody what it meant to be Micky Ward. It seemed to me that he did not discover for himself where that shyness came from and that is what made is performance ineffective. Wahlberg didn’t know for himself where his actions were driven from and therefore the audience couldn’t discover where his actions were coming from.
Adams, Bale and Leo were so deeply committed to their roles and their characters that their performances deeply impacted and affected the audiences who went to see the movie. Their motivations, actions and intentions were all genuinely cultivated within themselves, making their performances truth.
When you contrast Wahlberg’s performance to that of Colin Firth’s in The King’s Speech the difference is extraordinary. (By the way, Firth just recieved a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, obviously the most important tell of achievement in Hollywood) In Firth’s interview on Inside the Actor’s Studio, which comes in four parts, he recounts his process of undertaking the role of King George. Firth didn’t try to mimic the physical stutter of the King, yet he discovered for himself where the stutter psychologically came from. He recoutns lines from Beckett "I can't go on; I must go on; I'll go on," this is the process that Firth believes King George went through when he had to overcome the dreadful silences he was led to by his stutter. Firth dissected the actions of the king and generated genuine feelings when preparing for the role that came out onscreen and led him to be nominated for Best Actor, an award which I believe he will win.
There are so many categories that I have absolutely no idea who will win, there are just too many good candidates (which I guess is a great problem to have). Two of the Oscar’s that I am most looking forward to are for Directing and Best Writing in an Original Screenplay.
There were just so many good nominees this year. You can check out the list of nominees, if you haven’t already, which I really hope you have, here. Once the award show has been broadcast, on February 27th (please tell me you’ve already written this date in your calendar), I will take a look back at the winners and try to offer a little insight, because I know you all are dying for a path into my brain.
Until next time, grab an umbrella because it has been dreadfully rainy here the past couple of days.  


No comments:

Post a Comment