Monday, January 24, 2011

Profile on a Fellow Blogger

Have you ever read something and thought, "Damn, that person is a genius"? Did it happen to you when you read my first post? Well, one blog that I have recently become interested in, not only because of his genius but his thoughts regardless, is blogger Ryan Dunn’s film review blog entitled Brian’s Film Review Blog (he is very original). Check it out here . A reason why I am drawn to this blog is that he doesn’t just write about up and coming movies, he also reviews movies that have come out in the past, such as Rosemary’s baby and other cult classics, with a couple reviews of documentaries thrown in.

He talks about films that wouldn’t have necessarily been in the public eye normally. Every few days you can find an in-depth analysis of the script and overall presentation of the film. Because he is older, he provides insight into the history of the movies and where they have come from, some necessary stuff when talking about film (except I don't talk about any of that usually, oops). One of the most interesting blog posts that Brian has put up recently is his review of True Grit. While he does give an overall view of True Grit, he makes an interesting analysis that it is nothing like the older movie, also un-coincidentally titled True Grit. This is true, due to the fact that the Coen Brothers version is based more closely on the book than the original movie, which didn’t have a strong likeness to the book.

Brian also offers up a rating system which he posts at the beginning of each post, making it easy for the reader to determine what he thought of each film right at the start of the post.

Brian reviews all different types of movies from genres across the board, giving his blog the ability to please a widespread audience. He reviews the movies like a pro and gives insight that different viewers might want to read before seeing any film. Unfortunately however, I don't think Brian gets many readers, because I couldn't find his rank on technorati.com (it's OK Brian, I'm still reading your blog.)

I am a little curious as to what Brian does for a day job; he doesn't mention being involved in the industry on his blog, but he may for all of the interesting insights that he ahas to offer.
My blog will be a little different than Brian’s; I plan to address the aesthetic elements in my reviews as well as the overall plot and acting performance of the characters in the films. The visual aspect of a film is so important and I think that it often goes unnoticed; I intend to bring light to this often cast aside aspect of the film industry. So much goes into lighting, costume and set design in the movie industry and I think that audiences should be more aware of it.
But, I fully intend to use Brian's blog as a reference to some older movies and just to see what his thoughts are on stuff that has just come out; it is my opinion that you can always use another opinion. His history and cultural aspects linked to the masterful aesthetic insight that I plan to contribute to the blogosphere will blow your mind, let's hope. In his post on Pinocchio, he comments on the advances made in animation and how Pinocchio still holds its ground as an iconic movie even though it was made in the 1940’s. Pretty crazy stuff if you ask me.

 
Brian has reviewed hundreds of films in the past, so if there is something you are just dying to read about, bump over to his blog and check to see if he has some words on it. Until next time, go watch some trashy reality TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment